Sunday, April 25, 2010

Once Upon a Time

I'm going to Disney World.
I'm going to find Prince Charming.
I'm going to give him a kick in his charming lil...
Oh Hello Amber...
What am I doing?  I'm just writing a modern day fairy tale...
What is it about? Well, I'll let you read it after you start dating.  Go back to bed.
Now...where was I?
Oh Yeah, Prince Charming and all of his charming, ummm,  assetts?
Somewhere along the path of life, I have realized that I've been duped.  Which is sad.  But what is sadder still, is that I am not the only one.  Now I can't claim to have the official numbers, nor have I done any poll.  But I dare say the majority of women have been duped as well.  Somehow, we have been taught to think that there is a Prince Charming that will come in and know exactly what to do and say plus how to smell and look.  And we want him to know all of this, all by himself.  We can't tell him what to do or it takes the meaning away.  Somehow, we have listened to enough songs, watched enough movies, and read enough books to believe that some perfect form of a man (well at least perfect for us, as we tell ourselves is reasonable to believe exists) will walk up to us with our hair a mess, no make up on, while we are trying to decide whether our car needs 10w40 or 5w30 or that new Valvoline stuff that is suppose to be Eco Friendly and smells like a cool summer breeze, offer to change the oil in our car and fall madly, deeply, truly, never even look at another woman blinded by our natural and inner beauty kind of love.  Though many will read this and pretend I have lost my mind - in all honestly we have some sort of a fantasy like this.  Why wouldn't we?  We started out with the stories of Snow White and Cinderella, matured to the likes of Romeo and Juliet, moved on to the Titanic and now have settled with The Notebook to guide as to what true love is.  So yes, I blame Prince Charming, Leonardo DiCaprio, and even that cute blonde dude in The Notebook.  They set a standard, and most of the average Joes I have met, fall quite below that standard.  Hence, my decision to meet Prince Charming and explain that he could have a few flaws for us to see.

UPDATE!

I went to Disney World.
Saw Prince Charming.
Walked up to him, however, he was too busy chatting up some cute 21 yr old blonde who clearly has yet to see the effects of gravity or children upon her body.  Dang it, Blondes really do have all the fun!  (Sarah, maybe instead of red, next time we do blonde????)
I realized though that the movies make him look taller (seriously, he is probably only 5'4) and he has the attention span of a squirrel, considering every time a princess walked by he was winking and sharing the mischevious grin (apparently Blondes aren't his only cup of tea).  Funny enough, I found him to not be that charming afterall.  How did that happen?  Perhaps - flaws are part of the package and they just left that out of the stories???
Lesson learned - we all have our once upon a times, and we all will have our happily ever afters.  However, there is a lot of mess, covered with a whole lot of flaws in between the two of those, and perhaps, just maybe that is the way it is suppose to be. 

No comments: