Wednesday, February 17, 2010

My Waldon

Once upon a time a man ventured out to the edge of town to live in a modest cottage in order to learn. He had several points he wished to make as he set off on this goal. One was to live a life of self-sufficiency which equated to him living minimally.
At the beginning of this year, I set out with a goal for the month of January. I was to become vegan. This decision was only made to see if I had the will power and determination to do something most considered impossible. I didn't know what to expect as I set off on this adventure but I what I found was a profound lesson of minimalism. I learned that there is indeed a difference in what I NEED to have to survive and what I WANT. Often times those lines are blurred. I need protein and complex carbs. I want steak and and potatoes covered in butter. I need fluids such as water. I want a chocolate milkshake.
As the month came to an end, I looked back upon my experience and contemplated how I could take this approach in other areas of my life. Never fear, I will not be throwing away the 50 some odd pairs of shoes I have in exchange for a pair of old Birks. I will however further my pursuit to cleanse my home, body and spirit as I find the right balance of need and want because in the end we will always have a little of both!

No comments: